stripes

Monday, September 26, 2011

Ah fall...


The leaves started to fall this weekend. We had 3 weeks of summer this year and it didn't start until after school began. So my classroom was a billion degrees for the first three weeks of school (AC was broken, of course) and then today it was freezing, I had to wear my Northface, that is how you really know it is fall (obviously as the temperature dips, the AC magically gets fixed).

By the way, if you couldn't tell, Atticus loves the fall.

End of the garden time always means lots and lots of zucchini. Of course, I did not have any because my garden stunk. However, they are very very cheap at the farmer's market so I didn't feel too guilty about buying and not growing. I really wanted to make a quick bread that didn't have too much sugar and I could put some healthy ingredients in for a quick b-fast.

Here is what I came up with...(I made some adaptations to a regular zucchini recipe):

Ingredients
1 egg
1/2 vegetable oil
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. grated zucchini (2 medium zucchinis)
1/2 t. vanilla
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 and 1/2 t. apple pie spice (or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
1/2 c. flaked unsweetened coconut
1/2 c. walnuts (I used more because I love walnuts)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan. In a mixing bowl combine the egg, oil, sugar, vanilla, and zucchini in a medium bowl.
In another bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and soda, salt, apple pie spice, coconut and walnuts. Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until just moistened.
Pour into the pan. Bake for 1 hour (check at 45 minutes with a toothpick). Let cool and eat.
I apologize for not taking a "done" picture, I forgot and then I ate the entire loaf (not in one sitting). But trust me, it was golden and delicious.


1 comment:

  1. Jealous of your leaves. Will see if a zucchini is available at the Farmer's Market here!

    ReplyDelete