stripes

Friday, March 11, 2011

Chocolate Cream Pie

Fair warning: this is not a healthy-fied recipe.
I let Daniel pick out what dessert he wanted this year. He said he wanted a chocolate pie. I searched through my "fancy" cookbook section and found this recipe in The Gourmet Cookbook by Williams and Sonoma. It is described as a "adult and utterly pleasing" chocolate pie.

Chocolate Cream Pie
For Crust:
1 1/3 C. chocolate wafer crumbs
5 T. unsalted butter
1/4 C. sugar
Filling:
2/3 C. sugar
1/4 C. cornstarch
1/2 t. salt
4 large egg yolks
3 C. whole milk
5 oz. quality bittersweet chocolate
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 T. unsalted butter, softened
1 t. vanilla extract

Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch pie plate. Stir together crumbs, butter and sugar in a bowl with a fork until well combined. Press mixture evenly onto bottom and up sides of the pie plate. Bake crust until crisp, about 15 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
Make the filling: Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a heavy sauce pan until well combined.
Add milk in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Bring to boil over moderate heat, whisking, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking, for 1 minute (filling will turn very thick fast).
Melt chocolates in a small bowl, and stir until smooth. Whisk chocolate, butter and vanilla into filling. Cover surface of filling with a piece of buttered wax paper and cool completely, about 2 hours. Spoon filling into crust and smooth top. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 6 hours.

Some comments about making this:
It took a veerrryyyy long time. I do not have enough patience to whisk for 20 minutes straight.
I realized that I am not very good a separating eggs. I am going to make scrambled egg whites (with the addition of a broken yolk) tomorrow morning with the leftovers.
I am excited about trying it, for all the work, it better be yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this DOES look very indulgent and chocolately. I like the wafer cookie crust. This is funny because I have been having scrambled eggs for my post work out meal - and I'll scramble 1 whole egg and I egg white leaving out the other yolk to avoid some of the fat and cholesterol. But being frugal I keep saving all of the yolks thinking I can use them for something. Maybe a chocolate pie is in my future too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the pie. As a chocolate lover this pie meets my expectations and then some

    ReplyDelete